Monday, July 8, 2019

Day 14: Rocks, Roots, and Riverbeds

Miles: 11.3
Total:  ~146.6

Sent From:

Rain on our tents last night. We laid falling asleep hoping it would all fall before we woke, and were at least happy to find it was not falling when we packed up... but would it hold all day?

Yes, yes it did. Although we had the wet overgrowth making for damp legs. Pseudognome wore his rain pants, whereas Apricots and I donned our trash bag rain skirts. V8 charged through with no protection knowing the almighty wonder of town awaited him.

Two rough climbs done, and we arrived at Mirror Lake, which I would recommend for a camping spot for all travelling in the area, save for the eight grueling miles between Mirror Lake and Snoqualmie Pass.

The expected town pace today was crippled by very rough trail. Typically hikers move faster into town die to lighter packs and the allure of burgers and beer. However, for us, the miles were on rough tread. It was quite scenic, but the trail required constant attention of foot placement due to excessive root exposure and loose large rocks which like to break ankles.

Often times we were walking down dried up riverbeds, or running drainages. Water flowing over rocks makes for slippery tread and more concentration. The constant demand on our concentration would seem to say that we were experiencing "technical backpacking skills" as best as one could say.

I had asked one of the many southbound hikers if the rocks were bad in the coming miles. They said the miles were not too bad, nothing as bad as our next leg. I immediately realized that I needed different footware.

On the bright side, we were out of the fog and the sun was shining as we weaved between pine duff tread and root filled rocky waterless riverbeds.

By the end of the hike out, I had concluded that my shoes were absolutely not cutting it for me. I had tried to change up from boots to shoes for this hike. I have used the shoes on many hikes in the past, but apparently they are not suited for our current demands. I felt like every step I took was like stepping barefoot on a golf ball. Downhill steps served to show me that the shoes were undersized, and now I have three bruised toenails.

Once we arrived in Snoqualmie Pass, I called REI to order the same boots I used on my thru-hike. I really wonder why the shoes worked for me on a tough 40 miler last summer, but failed me now... I think there are a few compounding factors... but none of this makes for an exciting read.

Hopefully boots will show up at the hotel, and will break in quickly. I could be in for a very rough leg if the new boots don't immediately work out for me.

Enough digression.

We got into the hotel and started the shower/laundry rotation. And the critical question is: Shower first and wear dirty clothes, or wash clothes first and wait for the shower?

Either way, we are all clean now, and indulged in Burgers and Pancakes. Now we lounge, feet in the air. Cribbage games being played, and V8 is in his room sleeping off the early rise demands of our longer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment