Thursday, July 11, 2019

Day 16: V8 B-Day



Today is V8's birthday, so we sang him happy birthday (quite off key and out of tune), and gave him a can of V8 and tea, then we went to breakfast.

After breakfast we packed up, endulging in the delicious fudge my mom sent as a care package. (Thanks Mom). It is quite an interesting display to watch a room that was a chaotic mess of camping gear exploded haphazardly everywhere slowly get absorbed back into backpacks, but we did it, and we even prepared some boxes of stuff to mail home. Every leg seems to consist of a little more awareness of unnecessary gear.

I am sending my shoes home, and we waited for boots to arrive before we set out on the hike. They arrived at 2:45, and I promptly threw my feet into more spacious, more rugged boots. I know that they will help with rough terrain and bruised toenails... the only thing I wonder about is my Plantas Fasciitis acting up. So far it has been no problem, but today I noticed some familiar pains, hopefully they won't last.

Then we made the 2500 foot climb out of Snoqualmie Pass... in the misting rain. We were not too upset about the rain, it was expected, and it was light and intermittent. Besides, after 1500 feet, the view opened up and we had a stunning interplay of light, clouds, rugged mountains, and misty glitter across all the plants. I would happily share a picture, but my phone was acting up. I suspect it has spent too much time in the moist air. Better work something out or I will kill my music/audiobook device which also doubles as a GPS and camera. (Though I do have a backup GPS).

Nearing camp, we hit a knife edge that was unnerving to walkalong. To our right was nothing but fog, and if you looked down, the mountain dropped away at a near vertical descent. I am sure the view would have been stunning. It is really unfortunate that we decided to rehike Washington to see what was missed in fog and rain, and all we get is more fog and rain.

Admittedly, we have seen more, and had less rain, but moral is low in me and Pseudognome. We both have minor injuries that make steps mighty discomforting at times, and the views just aren't doing their healing because they are few and far between.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves."

Many people use that statement out of context saying that it means "we will keep hitting you until you lift your spirits", but in truth it was said as "if we don't lift our spirits, we will keep losing." Paeudognome and I need some sunny weather and easy tread or the next four days will be agonizing for us.

On the bright side, V8 is in great spirits. He was amped about today's hike, and even packed a small cheesecake up the climb to celebrate his birthday.

When we arrived at camp, we all dove into our respective tents to avoid mosquitos. Then the rain started to fall hard. I changed into dry clothea and ate some food which lifted my spirits. Also, Phoenix is so cute bundled in my down jacket.

Tomorrow should be better. Weather says so. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment